Thursday, 7 November 2013

Hilary Grossman: Writing That Uncomfortable Scene...

Please welcome the guest blogger of today, Hilary Grossman, author of Dangled Carat

I was asked recently in an interview how I overcame writers block while writing my book, Dangled Carat.  I honestly answered that I was fortunate because I didn’t struggle with the problem.

I think that is one of the advantages about writing a memoir.  You are not creating characters or worrying about plot twists. You are just sharing a story about your life.  By living it you already created it :)

But since you are writing about your life, your real life, you have a whole other set of problems. You are opening your life, your experiences, and for the most part your soul for the world to see.  I am a very open and honest person. I have no problem discussing my life with anyone, including the person in line in front of me at the supermarket.

I didn’t think that I would have any fears about writing the story about my attempt to convert a commitment-phobic man into a husband.  I figured everyone close to me already knew most of the story.  Also, as to strangers, I thought that my story may help others who are experiencing the same situation.

Initially I was right.  But then fear did come!  My editor told me that I couldn’t have a dating / relationship book without any sex.  I knew she was right.  But this was a real story.  How could I write a sex scene?

Writing that scene was the hardest thing I had to do.  I stared at my laptop for hours, petrified to start typing.  Eventually words filled the page. Words that I was proud of, but still words that people in my real life have to read.  And I hate it when someone mentions that scene.

What part of writing your book was the most uncomfortable for you?

Hilary Grossman is the author of Dangled Caret, available from Amazon and Barnes and Noble.
She has two web sites, www.feelingbeachie.com and www.dangledcarat.com and Tweets as @feelingbeachie.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for letting me guest post!

    ReplyDelete

Want to guest blog? Let me know!