Sunday, 18 August 2013

Guest Blogger: Charlotte Howard on Self Publishing

You probably think that as I have no authority when it comes to telling someone how to self-publish successfully. You’d be right. I have a publishing contract, and my attempt at self-publication failed miserably. So rather than telling you how to do it, I’m going to tell you how not to do it by pointing out all the mistakes I made.

1.      Ignore the word count and tell yourself 48,000 is a full-length novel.
2.      Don’t edit it at all, in any way, shape or form.
3.      Definitely don’t get edited professionally!
4.      Take your family and friend’s critics as gospel and ignore everyone else’s comments. Especially those Negative Nellies.
5.      Self-publish just because you got rejected by the ‘Big Six’
6.      Sign up to Amazon KDP and give them full exclusivity just for the free promotion days.
7.      Create your own book jacket using Paint or Word.
8.      Over price it at $14.99 even though all the other books in the same genre are at $9.99
9.      Don’t do any marketing, don’t create Twitter accounts, Facebook pages, or a website.
10.  Expect to be an instant best-seller and make millions so that you can retire after writing one book.
11.  Cry when it fails, blame those idiots who left negative reviews, and refuse to write ever again.

Do all of this, and you too can join the club of thousands of failed writers!


Or… You can do the opposite, make your book the very best that it can be, and reap in the rewards by self-publishing successfully.
Charlotte Howard is the author of Seven Dirty Words (US$13.46) available in print & e-book, on Amazon, Kobo, Barnes & Noble and IndieBound. ISBN 0988493330 


After my failed attempt, I picked myself up, joined my local writer’s group, and spent longer editing my book than I did writing it. Voila! One publishing contract, one book and one sequel waiting to be published…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to guest blog? Let me know!

Interview with Lee Savino, author of Rescued by the Berserker

Lee Savino is an author and a mom and a chocoholic. She's written a bunch of books, all smexy romance. Smexy = smart + sexy. Rescued...