Saturday, 13 July 2013

Eek! The Horror! When Editors Don't Do The Job

I don't know about you, but when I've written a story, I just can't see it anymore. I need a second pair of eyes to make corrections.
When Wildcat in Moscow was finished, I did a deal with a start-up publisher who edited it.

Man, what a disaster!

I read it the other day and found a dozen missed mistakes.  Now I know what the company didn't last.

I've corrected them and updated the book, complete with new cover. Still, I wonder how many people saw these problems and thought, "Hmmm, that Storm can't punctuate for toffee!"

Editing is tough and what I do now is:

  • Write the book on my PC 
  • Convert it and read it on my iPad 
  • Edit 
  • Send it to my brother (Hi Ian!) for feedback 
  • Edit 
  • Send it to Julie (Hi Julie!) who points out all my errors 
  • Edit 
  • Leave it a week 
  • Edit 
  • Publish 

It's a pain but I think I got all the typos now. What do you do to make sure your books are in good shape?

Read the first part of Wildcat in Moscow, a contemporary romance here.

1 comment:

  1. A very valuable lesson! I like the fact you oace your editing, get an opinion, edit again.... This looks like a good plan for anyone wanting to do the job properly!

    ReplyDelete

Want to guest blog? Let me know!

Promo! Today only! Teacher (Innocence Lost Book 1) By CC Young #99Cents

Teacher (Innocence Lost Book 1) By CC Young Promo Price $0.99 For Thursday 23rd March Only   Grab it while it's hot! The priva...